Accepting bids for the VDOT Multi-Purpose Trail Project. ("How Do I; RFPs & IFBS tab)

Public Works


At Your Service

The Department of Public Works is responsible for the maintenance of Town land and buildings, repairing water and sewer leaks, making new water and sewer connections, and under contract from VDOT they plow snow. This crew of two full-time employees also maintain our gravel roads, picks up brush and large items from the alleys, mow Town property, and performs other duties to the benefit of the Town and it’s residents. The Public Works Department can be reached by calling the Town Hall number 540-258-2246 or at


Please do your part to help protect Virginia’s vital underground utility lines from damage. Remember, these lines provide you and your community with essential utility services such as gas, electricity, telephone, water and sewer.


Trash Pick-Up

The Town contracts with C&S Disposal to pick up household trash in Town. Pick-up is every Tuesday at the curb in front of your residence. Garbage must be kept in a container and placed at the curb for pick-up. The container must be removed from the curb within 12 hours of trash pick-up. Residents are charged $4.50 monthly for trash pick-up.

The Town will pick up the following items:

  • Large Appliances 
  • Large furniture 
  • Bagged leaves and grass 
  • Tree and shrub trimmings 

The Town will not pick up any large quantities of brush due to the cutting of entire trees, nor will brush be picked up that was left by a contractor. Contractors should haul away any debris they create.  Other items will need to be properly disposed of by the property owner/tenant.


Streets and Street Lights

The majority of streets in town are owned and maintained by VDOT. Our maintenance crew works with VDOT in their efforts and will patch potholes and make other minor repairs. We also plow snow under a contract with VDOT on many of their streets in town. Gravel surfaced streets and a few paved streets belong to the town. If you have a question or a concern about a street in town, please call the Town Hall and we will assist you.

The Town pays for the streetlights you see in town. It has been the policy of the Town Council to ensure that there are lights at all intersections and certain other areas.  If you notice one that is not working, or feel additional lighting is needed, please contact the Town Hall.